Sunday, July 17, 2011

Be Bold

Lately, God has been speaking to me quite a bit and I'm beginning to see a pattern. I sense that God is calling me to make certain adjustments in my life in order for His will and work to be completed through me. God has been hinting to me that I need to have a stronger trust and faith in Him, and that I can say I trust Him all I want, words do not matter. It is the action that truly reveals what I believe about God, whether it be in my relationships with people, commitments or conversations. Also, God spoke to me today about being more intentional and bold with my faith. Yesterday, I got into a heated argument with my father over faith and Jesus, and I felt like giving up, but God spoke to me saying that I do not need to worry, that no matter what trial you may face, as long you trust in Me, and Me alone I will deliver you. It was really reassuring because I fear rejection or loss, feeling uncomfortable or fear of failure. Marty's message today spoke to me almost as if he spoke exactly what was going on in my life, and what I needed to do. That happens a lot in my life, and I believe that is one of the ways God speaks to me in a personal way. We as Christians all face these fears, which makes us silent when the time for boldness arises. The disciples were flogged and arrested several times after teaching in the name of Jesus. After they had been imprisoned, the would go out and do the same thing they got arrested for. After multiple warnings, finally the Pharisees got tired of them and had them arrested, planning to execute them. Instead after a long discussion with a esteemed member of the counsel named Gamaliel, they instead flogged them and let them go. If you are unfamiliar with the term "flogged", it is one of the worst punishments in the ancient society, right after crucifixion. In fact, before Jesuswas crucified, he was severely flogged. They would take whips with glass shards, sharp metal or hooks and whip the victim until their flesh literally was peeling off. So one by one, they were flogged and then set free. Even after all this punishment, they were still not defeated or unwavering in their faith. They prayed to God for even MORE boldness and continued to teach in the name of Jesus. You see, the disciples had a passion for Jesus unlike any other because were firsthand witnesses of the power and might of God. They were even His students! Imagine what it would be like if Jesus came back, and choose 12 people to be his disciples today and chose you, as you were living your daily routine. Let's say you're mowing the grass, then a man walks up to you and immediately you notice that there is something different about him, but you can't exactly find out what. He then asks you this "Come, follow me. Leave behind everything that you know and follow me." If you were put in this situation, what would you do? Would you follow him? Leave everything that you love behind? Your family, friends, job, school, pets everything behind you, and follow a man you never met before? You probably wouldn't, but you don't know what is at work here. You see, Jesus chose His disciples to be apart of a plan that God had started. A revolution that would forever change the face of mankind for all eternity. But...you don't see that, you only see the things at face value. You would probably think this guy is nuts and tell him to leave, but then you wouldn't have experienced what the 12 apostles experienced. To follow Jesus, requires faith, even in the things you don't see. When Jesus approached Matthew, Simon Peter, John etc, they all immediately stopped what they were doing, and left everything , their family, wives children, behind to follow a man they just met. In order to be apart of God's revolution, you must have bold faith. Church, as Christ intended it, was never a building, but rather a movement. He built the foundation His church on this truth: that He is the son of the Living God, who died on the cross for our sins, was buried and rose again. That is what church is. It's not a building, it is not the idea of "kirche" which is the German word for "Lord's House". It is none of those things. It is a movement that God has started, and is continuing today. Not even the gates of hell can stop this movement that God has started. Sometimes it's about standing up for what you believe, even when you are fearful of the results. Be bold. That's what our armbands at Northstar say. It doesn't mean be rude, but rather stand up for what is right and for what is truth. I am challenged by this messaged and by God speaking to me these past couple weeks. I will have more faith, I will be more intentional with my faith, my relationships and actions, and I will be bold, so that I can be apart of a revolution that God started a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
www.facebook.com/zachery.conn

Followers