Thursday, July 7, 2011

Deja Vu

Ever read a passage of scripture that seems to keep on popping up or standing out to you? Lately, it's been this passage:

"Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And love your neighbor as yourself"

It appears in Deuteronomy, Leviticus, the book of Mark, Matthew, Luke and makes references to many other books. It's a prayer known as the "Shema" and it's also called the "Greatest Commandment" that God calls us to follow. I've seen it 4 times now: I've learned how to recite in Hebrew in "The Dust of the Rabbi" small group. I've studied it in a devotional with my other small group "Experiencing God". Pastor Marty spoke about it last Sunday in his message, and  last night, our small group attended the memorial service of a girl who got killed in a car accident and her youth pastor recited it. So obviously God is trying to tell me something through this scripture, but what? I think it's more of a self reflection for me, to evaluate what I'm doing and how much I focus on God. I try to devote myself as much as I can to the Lord, but I feel like I'm lacking big time. I'm not sure what areas those are yet, but I'll continue to pray for His direction. I think the "love your neighbor as yourself" sticks out a lot to me. I think I need to express more love to others, especially my broken family.

As God moves and speaks to me in my life, I'm very cautious as to how I interpret what He's trying to tell me. I don't want to miss what He's saying, but I also don't what to misunderstand what God is saying either. I have always found that impulsive, bold and impatient action only leads failure, so I've become wary of God's speakings to me. I will pray to Him to help me clearly understand what He wants me to understand or learn, and to give me the guidance that He has been lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
www.facebook.com/zachery.conn

Followers