Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Developing Relationships

I had the most wonderful opportunity to serve the other day and do missions work with Axis Student Ministry. We went to a place called "House of Grace Maternity Home" which is essentially a place designed for pregnant teens who have no where else to go. The youngest girl they had was a 10 year old girl. Can you imagine? One of my esteemed pastors came with us, Pastor Roy Mansfield, who is the pastor of spiritual development at Northstar. For the longest time I looked up to Roy, and had the opportunity to speak with him many times, but never on a personal basis. I felt as if God were telling me that I need to be close with him. I started attending his small group and that was a good start. But after I had finished raking up some leaves, he approached me and asked if I would help in a task. At that moment, I knew God was giving me an opportunity to develop a close reltionship to an esteemed mentor. The job we were assigned with was to clean a wooden deck saturated with mold. As we began, we started talking and got to know one another quite well. It felt amazing to develop such a bond. I can only imagine that this is what God intends for all of us to do. To develop relationship with not only Him, but everyone. Stop building walls and start building bridges. Roy is an extremely wise man, with a awesome background story. I really enjoyed hearing his stories and past experiences and really get to know him. And, in the process of this, not only did we create an awesome bond, we both got to serve our Lord by serving the House of Grace. Needless to say, cleaning an entire wooden deck with only a grill scraper is a pretty long and tedious task, but what made it worthwhile were these 3 things:

1) Serving
2)Developing a bond with someone
3)Growing and learning new things

So 2 great things were accomplished that day, God's will, and a chance to bond with an esteemed mentor. God really does work in awesome and unimaginable ways, and everyday He humbles me to a new degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
www.facebook.com/zachery.conn

Followers