Sunday, July 15, 2012

Giving From the Heart

I'm the kind of person that will look for opportunities to give, even when I myself don't have the means to provide sufficiently for myself. I've been like that ever since I was a kid. God gave me the opportunity to give a whole heck of a lot this past week. I am what you might call a "avid Goodwill giver type dude". In fact, I like to go on what I like to humorously call "Goodwill Hunting". (I know you love the pun, came up with it just now and I feel proud of myself) Anyways, I give quite a bit to Goodwill. I cleared out my closet last month and gave half a box of clothes that I had to say my farewells to as most of them were from when I went to Kindergarten (I haven't grown much since then, just put on a few pounds). So I either outgrew them in size, or outgrew my general interest in them by saying "Good Lord, what was I thinking when I bought this??". I work at the Public Defender's Office, which is basically the po' man's law office for when folks get into trouble and can't afford themselves a fancy expensive "real lawyer" as they call so lovingly coined them.Working in a law office I have to be dressed in Sunday best up until casual Friday, which is my personal favorite day of the week, and not because we have a weekend to look forward to. (Thanks Rebecca Black). I only own 2 dress shirts, black and white. Not very exciting is it? Especially when I sweat in this damnable Florida Hell heat in a shirt and tie, which I think is made from the hairs of polar bears on their menstrual cycles. I digress. With only 2 dress shirts available to me, that mean I have 2 days to be dressed in something different so that people don't go "ewww he totally wore that yesterday!" Because that's the kind of people I work with, they do it to our IT guy...I've seen them do it. So I was in dire need of some dress shirts, so the Good Lord provided, as He always does. One of the attorneys that I work with, who happens to dress the best in the whole office, decided that he was going to clear his closet and give me, and I quote "A couple shirts that don't fit me". I was like ok, sure, cool. Little did I know the adventure I was about to embark on. He leads me to his car where there were 5 very large hefty trash bags FILLED with stuff. I mean, shirts, pants, shoes. This dude gave me the full monty.  Long story short, I found 30 dress shirts that fit me, and donated the rest to Goodwill. God had blessed me with a lot, and instead of keeping all of it, I gave some back. I think that is indicative of our lives. God will bless us with something extraordinary, and we honor that by giving some of it back. I think it was a test from God to see how humble I was, and to see if I could be trusted not to be greedy. It taught me a lot about God's character and about giving from the heart. I was thankful to Him that He would provide the opportunity to be able to give such a large amount to those who barely have anything. All in a day's work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
www.facebook.com/zachery.conn

Followers