Friday, April 26, 2013

Pete the Homeless Guy

For the past few weeks, on my way home from work, everyday I pass by an older homeless man who sits on the corner in the same spot like clockwork. He's at least in his late 50's, with a long wiry beard and skin reddened by the sun. At first, I would just ignore this guy but felt bad for him, but the more I began to see him everyday, the more and more I began to take interest in him.Who was this man? What's his story? Why does he sit in the same spot every day? More importantly, does he know Jesus? I drove past him one day and saw him sitting in his usual place, and as I drove right past him, I felt this insatiable nudging, almsot as if an inaudible voice was saying to me "buy him food". Now, I'm extremely broke from college right now, and I'm hurt for cash. In my mind I thought: "this guy might actually have more money on him than I do right now". The feeling remained. It burned in my mind all day at work the next day, and even when I got home. Today, I decided that I was going to listen to God. On my lunch break I drove past his usual spot and he was there, so I went to McDonalds and got him a burger and a large Sweet tea. I had no idea what was going to happen, I had all sorts of scenarios and thoughts playing in my mind, I didn't know if this guy was nuts or anything, but I was intent on doing it. As I drove to the spot where he was and he was actually walking down the street towards the store, I quickly parked and caught up with him. As I approached him,  he noticed me and watched as I came towars him. I could clearly see his face. It's a face I'll never forget. It's been weathered from age and the sun and a hard life. He had deep sunken eyes that have seen better days, he had scars and boils on his face. He had a tattoo of an anchor on his arm that was probably as old as he was. He carried a jacket on his shoulder, and when I spoke with him, he had a voice that spoke with utter disdain. I asked him his name, and he told me it was Pete, and I then asked him how his day was, and that's when he let me have it, I did not see this coming AT ALL.

"I'm F%$#*^@ pissed man" he told me. When I asked why, he told me about a guy who asked him for a dollar then took 3 instead from him to go buy him a beer. He told me that he was waiting for the guy to come out so he could "kill him". He noticed the bag of McDonald's I had and said "I'd sure like to eat something right now". When I told him that I got the bag for him, he couldn't believe it. He took the bag and drink with sheer joy, after letting out a vulgar squal of delight. I appologized for what the man that took his money did to him, and then he noticed a prostitute walking down the street, and told me of how he would like to defile her. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I never thought this would happen. Pete was a vulgar guy, that has been on the streets for a long time. I didn't mention Jesus or God or anything. I just wanted to show him that he hasn't been forgotten about. That peopel still care, and that God loves him. I told him not to hurt the guy too much and I told him goodbye. He thanked me for the food, and walked with me back to his spot and to where my car was. As I drove away, I watched him drink his sweet tea, and he gave me the thumbs up. I don't know if that is the last I will see of Pete, but I do know that he is very far away from the heart of God. I just wanted to love on him for just a little bit. Althought the meeting didn't go as I quite expected, at least I know that he ate that day. When I got back to the office I prayed for Pete, and told myself that I would pray for Pete constantly. I don't know what impact I had on Pete, but I hope it's a positive one. I pray that God moves in a major way in his life.

I'm glad I lisened to the Holy Spirit. I might have saved a guy from a beat down.

Luke 3:11 " John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
www.facebook.com/zachery.conn

Followers